How Do I Prep My Windows for Spring?
Spring will be here before you know it. And, following a very rainy, gloomy winter in Atlanta, everyone will want to enjoy the warmer weather and sunny days. While you may be ready for spring, are your home’s windows prepared? You may want to walk around your home to survey the situation and decide if your windows are as ready for warmer days as you are.
Take these simple steps to prepare your windows for spring:
1. Inspect your windows from the outside. Walk around the exterior of your home and look for cracks in the caulk and trim. Have your windows lost their seal and appear foggy or have condensation? Look for water damage and rot – these are clear signals that your windows need maintenance.
2. Also, inspect your windows from the inside. Do they lock and seal properly? Do you see any cracks, signs of seal loss or other damage? If they tilt, are the mechanisms and latches working well?
3. Contact a window expert. If you note issues with your windows, you’ll want to contact a professional prior to spring cleaning. As washing compromised windows could cause further damage to the windows and the home.
4. Find your window warranty. If your windows are under warranty, contact your window manufacturer and installer to determine next steps. Some manufacturers provide a lifetime guarantee.
5. Request a free inspection and estimate. If your windows aren’t under warranty or you can’t locate the warranty, then reach out to a local window expert like Windows From Warriors to get a free inspection and estimate for repairs and replacements.
6. Proceed with cleaning. If your windows are in good working order, then proceed with cleaning. If your home is newer, you likely have sashes that tilt-in for easy indoor cleaning. If not, consider using an extension pole and squeegee for hard to reach windows or hire a window cleaning professional.
7. Don’t forget to open windows. If you don’t often open your windows, you may not realize that they accumulate debris. If they have tracks, dust or vacuum the dirt and debris around the window sash. Check the sliding mechanisms and wipe these with a cloth or soft brush to clear debris and avoid damage.
8. Lubricate hinges and tracks. Once you’ve cleaned your windows, complete the maintenance by applying a silicone lubricant to hinges and tracks. Check with your window manufacturer to ensure you use the proper lubricant for your window type.
9. Finally, check the screens. If you like to raise your windows and enjoy a springtime breeze, then make sure your screens are in working order. Small rips or bends in the screen will allow bugs to find their way into your home. You can try a screen repair kit, but it may be easier and cost-effective to replace the entire screen. Call a window expert to get a recommendation and estimate.
Windows are a critical part of your home. They allow you to enjoy the sunshine and refreshing breezes. But, poorly maintained windows can also allow water, dirt and insects to find their way into your home. With spring around the corner, there’s no better time to inspect your windows, call an expert, if needed, and prep your windows for the sunny days and warm temperatures ahead.
Don’t hesitate to contact us at www.windowsfromwarriors or (470) 294-0088 for a free inspection and estimate.